Monday, August 24, 2009

The widow's offering

In thinking about the blog I posted this morning, I wanted to follow up with a story I heard about a homeless man at Brookside. What happened was witnessed by a family that was cleaning the dining hall after they had served the Sunday morning breakfast. A man came late to the breakfast, after everyone but a homeless man had left. There was no more food. The man was distraught because he would not get to eat that day. The homeless man that was still there had a plate of food to take with him for later. He said to the man, "Here, you take this; I've already eaten today." As I am writing this I am tearing up. It reminds me of the following story:

Luke 21:1-4
As he looked up, Jesus saw the rich putting their gifts into the temple treasury. He also saw a poor widow put in two very small copper coins. "I tell you the truth," he said, "this poor widow has put in more than all the others. All these people gave their gifts out of their wealth; but she out of her poverty put in all she had to live on."

No comments:

Post a Comment