Friday, October 30, 2009

Express Lane - The Enforcer

I always thought that the express lane at stores (10 items or less) was more of a guideline than a rule. Such as, if the lane is wide open and there is no one around, you can go through with a few more than 10 items, as long as the amount is reasonable.

Well, I ran to Target this morning with the boys to pick up a few items including 4 large boxes of diapers and 1 large box of wipes. Since I purchased large items, it appeared that my cart was full of many items when I got in the express lane to checkout. There was one person in front of me and no one even coming near the express lane behind me. The employee rudely told me that this was the express lane. I informed him that I had lots of large items. He let me know that as long as it was under 10 I could stay in the lane. I had to count all of my items, and when I came up with 11, I had to go to another lane behind people with carts full of many, many items, with my toddler and newborn. Mind you - there was still NO ONE checking out in the express lane.

Has this happened to anyone else? I've never encountered an Express Lane Enforcer before.

2 comments:

  1. Oh come on!! 11 vs. 10 items? I've NEVER had anyone stop me before, and certainly not with 1 item over the "limit."

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is ridiculous! He should have been able to see that you have two young boys...he must not have kids. Otherwise he'd know what a chore it is just to get out and go shopping with two kids...then to be hassled about the number of items! I'd write to the store manager and kindly express your frustration. They might send you some coupons!!

    ReplyDelete