Monday, March 1, 2010

Married mother of 2 seeks grocery shopping in peace

I have been out of the dating world for a long time - it has been about 8 years since J and I have been together, but lately I've been shown a glimpse of the new pick up scene: the grocery store. Since BeeGee was born, I have had three men try to talk to me there*. Of course, I am dressed to impress when I go shopping: Tennis shoes, jeans, sweatshirt, headband, no make up, and list in hand.

It is possible that this is not a new way of meeting that special someone, but perhaps a method used by people 30 and older. After all, my roommate in college (who was often mistaken for being older) had a gentleman offer to buy her groceries for her. I keep hoping for that to happen to me, in which I would gladly accept, but by the time my cart is loaded with diapers and fruit snacks the men just aren't as friendly anymore.

The most recent man used what I believe would be the equivalent to "Do you come here often?" at a bar. I was shopping for fruit and the man asked me, "So, you eat organic too, huh?"

I am not sure why the sudden interest; after all, I don't ask for male attention and I've never received much of it before. I am wondering if it could be the new hair color...Perhaps Elisha has made me too sexy? (She does a fantastic job - everyone should go see her at Splash.)

I am going to leave you with some ridiculous pick up lines that I thought of for use at the grocery store. I would love to hear of any that you come up with too! (keep it clean!)

"That meal says it's for two - what time should I be over?"
"This milk is going to expire soon. Want to help me use it up - on our breakfast cereal?"
"I have a great recipe - for love."

*I must make a disclaimer for all of you outraged at men hitting on a married woman - I cannot wear my wedding ring because of a really bad case of eczema on my ring finger (no other finger, go figure).

No comments:

Post a Comment